I have found that employee relations improve at an
astronomical rate when people are well paid.
HR CONTRARIAN POINTER: Pay people well and take the issue
of money off-the-table.
On my February 27, 2008, blog, I posted an article titled,
“Get The Basics Right And All Else Falls Into Place.” In
that post, I noted the philosophical approach that allowed
me to grow the company that I sold in 1995 from 35
employees to over 450 employees in 7 years.
I used a simple philosophy and that is:
1. Create a compensation and benefits package for
employees that is competitive with the external labor
market. (i.e., as close to the 90th percentile of the
market for your most experienced workers as you can
2. Establish clear expectations of performance, give
employees autonomy to perform, and monitor results.
3. Don’t apologize for people working hard or for
demanding results because that’s what the competitive
salary and benefit programs are for.
4. Create a reward system that allows ALL employees to
participate in the successes of the organization, and not
just financial successes.
5. Create an organizational culture (written and unwritten
practices and policies) that supports the philosophy of “A
Great Place To Work.”
6. Be a good example to all and practice what you preach.
7. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.